Maybe I should have realized when I saw the numbers "168" repeated above the door in Chinese. But after I had braved the rabbit warren of passages and escalators to get onto the Metro which was more like a sauna once I found the right line - the yellow one - to get there, I wasn't going to give up. Let's just say it was more like "Chinese meets Boston Barbecue".
In there favour though, there was more food than I could handle, but sadly, not what I was looking for. The closest I got to Italian food was the starters of olives, marinated mushrooms, prosciutto, etc. But I did leave there well fed and 24 Euros poorer. Maybe my first genuine Italian meal is still swimming in the sea off Corniglia or is still planted in the rich Roman soil - who knows?

- Posted by Neil
Location:168 - Viale Edoardo Jenner, Milan
I just had an excellent pizza in Rome... and I have the details of a restaurant in Manarola that is apparently really, really good... see you tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteRose Burnett says: Next time you should tell the local person what dish (like the name of that delicious dish you cooked the other day, that Donna told you Milan is famous for) you are looking for, rather than just "good Italian food". Young Italians are just as cosmopolitan as any other Europeans, and some have been eating Chinese food for so long that they clearly think it's Italian .......
ReplyDeleteSo enjoying following your escapades on your penny farthing, with tins of tuna, Chinese barbeques and everything else save the Italian. Glad you're teaming up with Scotty soon - at least he's had pizza! :-)
ReplyDelete