Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Madonna di San Luca

The legend dates back to the 12th century but the historic record dates from 1459. For background see here. Construction of the present sanctuary was started in 1678, but the famous arcades in the pictures below were started in 1674 and finished in 1739. There are 666 arches (interesting number) covering 3,8 km. On festival days like today which is Ferragosto or Assumption Day, hundreds of devoted Catholics walk up the hill praying all the way with rosaries in their hands. Some of the devoted are quite mature, going on downright old but they seem to find the energy to do it. It also seems to be a favorite running and cycling route. It was hot and sweaty but well worth the effort. I took these pictures at every turn in the path, so you can judge the distance.


Once up there the scene changes from city to rural with lovely views of the hills beyond Bologna opening up. There is a garden behind the sanctuary and some beautiful, privately owned villas up there too. While resting and rehydrating I sat and watched the locals and found them interesting. The joke about Italians not being able to speak if their hands are tied behind their backs is totally true. Gesticulation is ubiquitous and opinions seem to be proudly offered and valiantly defended. I just wish I understood more Italian.
There was an officious guy at the sanctuary who ordered me off the grass, or should I say patch of weeds, whose job it was to maintain order. He turned away a car that was carrying someone on crutches and insisted they park somewhere else. An onlooker intervened and with much loud discussion, fingers wagged in faces and posturing like before a heavyweight fight, it was agreed that they park a few meters away - but NOT where they wanted to. Everyone came out with their pride in tact.


- Posted by Neil

Location:Colle Della Guardia (Guardia Hill), Bologna

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful... London was chilly today and we also had rain, which was nce to cool things down, but not so good for my laundry. Hope you enjoy Parma also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that the Madonna di San Luca was not "chiuso in ferie" and you got to join the faithful in a wee pilgramage.Trust you now know the "Hail Mary" by heart ...? What with all this cycling and walking you'll be half the man when you get back - Rose won't recognise you. Love the "Arch montage". Seems you are certainly getting your money's worth so far as sight seeing goes. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that I did not recite any Hail Marys while walking up the hill - I couldn't even if I wanted to. The exercise was useful in reducing the effect of all the eating, but I think what I really need is to get back to normal again and eat properly again. Whatever that means.
    I have bought some genuine Parma ham and some Parmigiano from the market and will savor it at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete