Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chiuso in Ferie

I had read that August is holiday time in Italy but never expected as many places to be closed. The term used is CHIUSO IN FERIE and is written on any scrap of paper and then pasted on the door or window - sometimes the dates are given as well. I am sure the shopkeeper or restauranteur needs a break but it is a bit annoying when I have walked to a place of interest just to be greeted with "Chiuso in Ferie" once I get there.
My first point of call this morning was to have been the Pinacoteca which is a photo museum but it was either closed or has moved, because it wasn't where the map said it should be. (On closer examination using another map I see that I was looking on the wrong side of the road - maybe I will try again tomorrow)
My next adventure was to climb up the taller of the twin towers to enjoy the view. There is seismic equipment (not very neatly fitted) located at 2 points on the way up which does show that the authorities are monitoring the lean, but I wonder what would happen if the tower did start falling. It is a crazy feeling looking down and seeing nothing directly underneath you. It was a sweaty climb but well worth it to get a view of the town and surrounds.

I am sitting at the Bidibo Gran Caffé on the Piazza Maggiore now, enjoying an espresso and watching the passing tourists. Don't you like the waitresses hairstyle?

I am considering what to do in this heat and have decided to buy a 24 hour bus pass and investigate the suburbs. One of the things I want to do tomorrow is visit the Sanctuary of the Madonna Di San Luca so I took the bus
out that way to check out what sort of climb to expect. It is quite a climb, but what the hell, most of the way is covered in a walkway so it will be shady.

By the way, these covered walkways are all over Bologna and seem to be part of the town's basic design. It is very handy if you are plagued with skin cancer.

Off for a shower now and then it will be supper time. More later.
- Posted by Neil

Location:Piazza Maggiore, Bologna

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your photos and experiences with us!!! I discovered that I could look at all the photos, not just the ones that show on the page. I am suitably impressed, with the places and your skills!
    In regards to the Italians using their hands, remind me to tell you the joke about the two guys that arrived safely on shore after their ship sank. when asked how, as they could not swim, the answer was "conversando, conversando".

    This is a favourite joke by the Portuguese who NEVER use their hands whilst talking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I have never seen you use your hands to make a point.

    ReplyDelete