Monday, August 13, 2012

Bologna - day 1

My first impression of Bologna is that it is deserted except for the tourists. I expect that is similar to Grahamstown during the holidays since Bologna is a university town and all the students are off somewhere bronzing themselves during their summer holidays. My second impression is that like the other Italian towns I have visited, Bologna could do with a good cleaning. There is just too much litter, doggy-do, chewing gum, graffiti and it is generally in need of some attention.

The guy at the front desk of my hotel advised me to go to The restaurant Il Rosso which he described as just around the corner and I suppose he was right except many of the streets on the way were unmarked. When I eventually got to the address on the card he gave me I was pretty tired and thirsty. The name "Il Rosso" was also not very clearly displayed - both Cora and Rosso were displayed - and I had to ask before I was certain. The food was good though and I needed a sit down by then and something to drink. I had their Tortellini with Sage Butter sauce which was delicious - I even soaked up all the sauce with bread before releasing my bowl to the waiter.


On the Way to the restaurant I had to stop and take a picture of the Le Due Torri - the twin towers - because I wasn't sure they would last till morning. They are leaning so badly that when you stand at the one tower's base the top of the tower is above your head.


- Posted by Neil

Location:Best Western Hotel, San Donata

7 comments:

  1. Jeepers, did those Italians build anything else other than leaning towers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, I think they had their good days and bad day. The Pantheon in Rome dates back to 25 AD and is still in amazing condition. This tower must be a "Friday" tower.

      Delete
  2. " I even soaked up all the sauce with bread before releasing my bowl to the waiter." - Which is the perfectly acceptable thing to do in Italy, Portugal and Spain!!! That is the reason why bread stays on the table until the end of the meal and is not whisked away before the main course (my pet hate in restaurants...)
    You are welcome to do that at my place any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many restaurants supply the bread free, although there are some where you have to pay for it.

      Delete
  3. Just love the picture of the Twin towers; And your food descriptions just make me hungry!!!

    So glad you are enjoying this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Friday Tower" Hahaha.

    But really, were they built that bad, or have they started to lean over time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think time has had a large part to play. If only our homes could last that long and still be standing.

    ReplyDelete