Thursday, August 9, 2012

Rome - day 1

Thank heavens Trenitalia is consistent in their lateness. If it was only the train from Corniglia that was late and not the one from La Spezia as well then we would have missed our connection to Rome, but since both were late everything worked out.
The countryside between La Spezia and Rome seems terribly dry. The crops look parched and many of the rivers are low or even dry. I know it is a winter rainfall area, but it does look very dry.
The B&B we have chosen is really nice - air conditioner, TV and breakfast along with all the other basics. They also have an espresso machine which I hope we will be allowed to use. Raphaella is our host and seems very helpful. She showed us all the sights on a map and marked a few restaurants and other places of interest. But the interesting part is that she did this all in perfect handwriting - upside down. She says she has had a lot of practice.
We had supper at Polese, a small trattoria where they do excellent thin based pizzas. I had one with cured ham on it but Scott chose the Putenesca which, if I may say so didn't match up to the one I make. I didn't offer them any tips because they seemed busy at the time.

On the way back we saw this beautiful sight - the Castel Sant' Angelo - all lit up for the tourists.

- Posted by Neil

Location:39 Lungotevere dei Mellini, Rome

No comments:

Post a Comment